Sunday, April 6, 2014

Elder Barreto from the Bay

Elder Barreto and Elder Schwartz in front of Sao Paulo Temple

Dear Family!

First off all this letter is going to be short so forgive me.  And also forgive me for not writing on Monday.  The reason for all this was that we had a temple trip today, so today is our P-day and it's been super rushed for us.  Well, I guess I better start out with the most important news.  My new companion's name is Elder Barreto. Yes, he is a Brazilian and he is from a state in the north called Bahia (which in portuguese means "bay," so we're both from the bay), and he is a powerhouse missionary. He is so good! I'm supposed to be training him as a zone leader, but it is more like he's training me.  I swear he is such a stud of a missionary, and I'm super stoked to be comps with him.  He is the only member of the church in his family (still) and he is in the middle of 7 brothers and sisters. He is 23 years old and he actually came out the same time that I got here so we have the same time out here in this mission. This transfer is only 5 weeks long so I might not be able to stay with him for as much time as I want, but I'm hoping that I get to stay for one more transfer. 

It's good to hear that you guys are staying busy with everything. I feel like this past week that so much has happened and that I've been so busy.  I really liked that scripture you shared, though, because it does really show that staying busy isn't really a bad thing when we are filled with charity towards others. (D&C 88:124,125  Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.  And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace.)
So this week for us was great. I got the chance to do a few divisions with each of the assistants, Elder Myers and Elder Huxford.  I learned a lot from both divisions and I really feel they both helped me grow as a missionary.  This week we spent a lot of time visiting investigators that I had been teaching with Elder Watt, and we have been meeting a lot of new people as well.  I was really happy this Sunday because we had many investigators come to worship with us at church.  Also, a woman who has been less active for 13 years who returned to church the prior week brought her daughter and her daughter's friend to church this past week, so that was an awesome surprise. 

Sorry I'm basically out of time right now, but just know that I love you all and I miss you all, too.  I'm so thankful for this privilege that I have to serve a mission, and I'm going to take advantage of every moment of it!

Love,
Elder Schwartz

With President and Sister Tanner (Pres. Tanner just got called to serve as counselor in General Sunday School Presidency of the Church -- he'll start when they are released from the mission in July)

Elder Camarena, Elder Watt, Elder Huxford, Me

No comments:

Post a Comment